splash
dialogue of the psyche
DREAMS: sequence images, sounds and feelings experienced when sleeping
SEMANTICS: linguistics. the study of meaning.

http://www.dreamsemantics.com/2009/02/the-wise-old-man/

This archetype was described as Carl Jung as a person with great judgment and wisdom.  The wise old man is sometimes referred to as the Sage. This archetype is characterized by being old, bearded, father-figure type who uses his great personal knowledge of the world and offer guidance through stories and may impress upon his [...]

  • Yahoo Bookmarks
  • Facebook
  • Technorati Favorites
  • Blogger Post
  • MySpace
  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Share/Bookmark
 

Freud’s Levels of Consciousness


http://www.dreamsemantics.com/2009/02/freuds-levels-of-consciousness/

Austrian Psychiatrist Sigmund Freud had earlier developed the three levels of consciousness.  These are the conscious, pre-conscious and the unconscious.  He used this levels to better explain a person’s psyche or that which influences the way a person thinks, behaves and personality.

The conscious deals with everyday functions like our feelings, memories or fantasies at any particular moment.  The conscious is what we use when we are fully alert and aware of everything that is around us.

The pre-conscious exists as a middle ground between the unconscious and the conscious.  We have here our stored knowledge, past memories and other data that we can readily access and brought to our consciousness.

The unconscious is a place in our mind that we store shameful experiences, sexual desires, fears, violent motives, repressed memories and other dark thoughts.  According to Freud, access to the unconscious can be manifested through our dreams or slip of the tongue and other unintended impulsive behavior.

Sigmund Freud states that only 10% of our psyche is visible, that being the conscious, while the remaining 90%, the pre-conscious and unconscious hidden or submerged.  This is why, according to him, the mind disguises our hidden wants and desires as dreams because we are not fully aware of the levels of our consciousness.

Post to Twitter .

  • Yahoo Bookmarks
  • Facebook
  • Technorati Favorites
  • Blogger Post
  • MySpace
  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Share/Bookmark

Tags: ,

Similar Posts

One Response to “Freud’s Levels of Consciousness”

KrisBelucci

Hi, good post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.

Leave a Reply

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree